FACT SHEET: Biden’s Broken Border: Southwest Border Encounters Surpass 2 Million in a Single Year for First Time Ever
September 20, 2022
Biden’s Broken Border: Southwest Border Encounters Surpass 2 Million in a Single Year for First Time Ever
WASHINGTON, DC – Despite Vice President Kamala Harris’ tone-deaf claims that the border is secure, migrant encounters along the Southwest border have surpassed 2 million in a single year, with one month remaining—a record never before seen in the history of the United States. This does not include the number of known gotaways who evaded U.S. Border Patrol, which Department of Homeland Security (DHS) sources say is well over 500,000 just this year.
Today, Homeland Security Republicans released the latest edition of the “Startling Stats” fact sheet highlighting how the Biden administration’s dangerous open border policies continue to break records because of a lack of consequences for illegally entering the country.
- Since President Biden has been in office, there have been nearly 3.6 million migrant encounters at the Southwest border, in addition to over 900,000 known gotaways who evaded U.S. Border Patrol agents.
- CBP had 203,597 migrant encounters along the Southwest border in August 2022, which includes 140,210 single adults, 51,725 family units, and 11,365 unaccompanied minors.
- According to DHS information, nearly 750 migrants have died crossing the Southwest border illegally this fiscal year, a record that surpasses last year’s total by more than 200 people.
- As of August 31st, 78 people whose names appear on the Terrorist Screening Dataset (TSDS) were stopped trying to cross the U.S.-Mexico border between ports of entry this fiscal year.
- The DEA issued an official notice warning Americans of the alarming emerging trend of colorful fentanyl being smuggled into the country, saying the cartels are using it to appeal to children.
Download the “Startling Stats” factsheet here.