Biden Border Surge: From Crisis To Chaos
WASHINGTON, DC – The Biden Border Crisis continues to intensify with no signs of slowing down. Today, Rep. John Katko (R-NY), Ranking Member of the House Committee on Homeland Security, released the latest edition of the “Startling Stats” fact sheet, detailing new data on the crisis at the southwest border.
Download the fact sheet here.
- 212,672 migrants were encountered along the southwest border in July 2021 – a 21-year high and 420% increase compared to July 2020.
- Border encounters have increased every month since President Biden took office. July was the 5th straight month with more than 170,000 encounters – a trend never before recorded.
- Since January 2021, there have been over 1.3 million illegal crossings along the southwest border, nearly three times as many as FY2020.
- CBP has seized almost twice as much fentanyl already in FY2021, with two months remaining, than in all of FY2020.
- In July 2021, the number of migrants who tested positive for COVID-19 in the Rio Grande Valley (RGV) Sector alone increased by 900%.
President Biden’s disastrous open border policies have turned the border crisis into utter chaos. It’s time to stop pretending this crisis will fix itself and take action to ensure the safety and security of all Americans.
Ranking Member Katko, along with Homeland Security Committee Republicans and House Republican leadership, introduced the Border Security for America Act of 2021 (H.R. 4828), which would secure our borders by resuming construction of the border wall system, deploying effective technology, and placing more boots on the ground.