“Startling Stats 14.0” Biden’s Border Crisis Continues With No End In Sight
WASHINGTON, DC – The Biden Administration ended 2021 with a historic amount of border encounters. Today, Homeland Security Republicans release the latest edition of the “Startling Stats” fact sheet, demonstrating that Biden’s border crisis just keeps getting worse.
Download the fact sheet here.
- Since President Biden has been in office, over 2 million migrants have been encountered at the Southwest Border.
- 178,840 migrants were encountered along the Southwest Border in December 2021. This is the highest number of encounters for December in recorded history.
- The border crisis is much more than migrants seeking asylum – criminals, weapons, drugs, and trafficked persons are coming across our border.
- In just the first two months of this fiscal year, CBP arrested 1,682 individuals with criminal convictions and dozens of known gang members, including 42 members of MS-13.
- In 2021, CBP seized a total of 913,326 pounds of drugs. Cocaine seizures had a 68 percent increase and fentanyl had a 134 percent increase from 2020.
- Fentanyl is the leading cause of death of Americans aged 18 to 45 years old.
- DEA has issued its first public safety alert in 6 years due to the surge of fentanyl crossing our Southern Border.
Ranking Member Katko, along with Homeland Security Committee Republicans and House Republican leadership, introduced the Border Security for America Act of 2021 (H.R. 4828), which would secure our borders by resuming construction of the border wall system, deploying effective technology, and placing more boots on the ground. The legislation earned the support of the National Border Patrol Council, which represents approximately 18,000 Border Patrol Agents and support personnel.