Week Ahead: Committee Schedule for March 4 – March 8, 2013
Media Contacts: Mike Rosen, Charlotte Sellmyer (202) 226-8417
Washington, D.C. – The House Homeland Security Committee has announced the following hearing for next week.
WEDNESDAY, March 6 at 10:30 a.m.
DHS Cybersecurity: Roles and Responsibilities to Protect the Nation's Critical Infrastructure
311 Cannon House Office Building
Invited Witnesses Include:
· Hon. Janet Napolitano, Secretary, U.S. Department of Homeland Security
· Mr. Anish Bhimani, Chairman, Financial Services Information Sharing and Analysis Center
· Mr. Gary W. Hayes, Chief Information Officer, Centerpoint Energy
· Mr. Dean Garfield, President and Chief Information Officer, Information Technology Industry Council
· Ms. Michelle Richardson, Legislative Counsel, American Civil Liberties Union
Chairman McCaul on the hearing: “Advances in technology that connect utilities, industries and information in real time have changed the nature of the threats facing our homeland. Digital networks are now a conduit to our gas lines, power grids and transportation systems, therefore enemies throughout the world using the Internet have the potential to silently deliver a devastating cyber attack to our country.
“Next week’s hearing will examine current cyber threats facing the United States and explore how Congress can build upon the Department of Homeland Security’s efforts to prevent cyber attacks in a way that promotes U.S. commerce, while not hindering its expansion. The public sector and privately owned companies that make up our critical infrastructure are up to the challenge–and Congress must aid them in creating lines of communication that will enhance our ability to see and stop destructive digital warfare.
“In recent months we have seen worldwide cyber attacks against the U.S. come to light, and it has never been more important for us to work together to defend against them.”
*Live video of the hearing will be available here.