TOMORROW: McCaul to Convene Second Hearing on Boston Marathon Bombings
Media Contact: Charlotte Sellmyer (202) 226-8417
Washington, D.C. – The House Homeland Security Committee, chaired by Rep. Michael McCaul (R-Texas), will conduct the following hearing tomorrow.
WEDNESDAY, July 10 at 9:00 a.m.
Committee on Homeland Security
Assessing Attacks on the Homeland: From Fort Hood to Boston
311 Cannon House Office Building
· Hon. Rudy Giuliani, Mayor, New York City
· Mr. Michael Leiter, Senior Counselor to the Chief Executive Officer, Palantir Technologies, Former Director of the National Counterterrorism Center
· Dr. Bruce Hoffman, Professor and Director, Center for Peace and Security Studies and Security, Georgetown University
· Hon. John Cohen, Deputy Counterterrorism Coordinator and Senior Advisor to the Secretary, U.S. Department of Homeland Security
· Hon. Matthew G. Olsen, Director, National Counterterrorism Center
**NOTE: Due to the nature of the information at this hearing, the Committee expects to go into closed executive session during Panel II to receive classified testimony on Thursday, July 11, 2013.
Chairman McCaul (R-Texas) on the hearing: “As the Committee continues its investigation into the Boston bombings, it will convene its second hearing tomorrow to examine breakdowns in information sharing and ways to improve our counterterrorism efforts. We know that the FBI did not reopen its case after the older bombing suspect traveled overseas. Unfortunately, there has been a lack of follow-through in other terrorist plots against the United States where information pointed to a possible threat. Therefore, the Committee will examine the Boston Marathon Bombings and previous domestic plots including the Fort Hood and Little Rock shootings, the 2009 "underwear bomber" and the Times Square bombing attempt to see how these events occurred and whether signs were missed. By looking at these plots, we will identify systemic vulnerabilities in our counterterrorism efforts and find ways to better prevent future attacks on the homeland.”
* Opening statements, witness testimony, and live video will be available HERE.