McCaul to Hold Texas Field Hearing on Surge of Unaccompanied Minors at the Border
Media Contact: April Ward; Mike Rosen (202) 226-8417
This week, the Homeland Security Committee will hold a field hearing entitled “Crisis on the Texas Border: Surge of Unaccompanied Minors.” The hearing will examine the impacts of and response to the growing trend of unaccompanied children crossing the Southwest border. Texas Governor Rick Perry will testify and the findings will be included with the efforts of the Congressional working group established to investigate this crisis.
THURSDAY, July 3 at 12:00 p.m. CT
Field Hearing: Committee on Homeland Security
Crisis on the Texas Border: Surge of Unaccompanied Minors
South Texas College, Technology Campus, Building B Auditorium, Room 193,
3700 W. Military Highway, McAllen, Texas 78501
- The Honorable Rick Perry, Governor, State of Texas
- Mr. Kevin W. Oaks, Chief Patrol Agent, Rio Grande Valley Sector, U.S. Border Patrol, U.S. Customs and Border Protection
- Mr. Steve C. McCraw, Director, Texas Department of Public Safety
- Mr. J.E. "Eddie" Guerra, Interim Sheriff, Sheriff’s Office, Hidalgo County, Texas
- The Honorable Ramon Garcia, Hidalgo County Judge, Hidalgo County, Texas
- Most Reverend Mark J. Seitz, Bishop, Catholic Diocese of El Paso, Texas, U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops
Chairman Michael McCaul (R-TX) on the hearing: “Since October, more than 50,000 unaccompanied minors have crossed into the United States from Mexico – nearly two thirds of those crossed through the Rio Grande Valley in Texas. DHS is not adequately prepared to address this crisis, which has left State and local officials to fill a void left by the Federal government. Thursday, the Committee will hold a hearing in Texas to examine the impact of and response to this massive flow of unaccompanied children. We will receive first-hand accounts from Governor Perry and other witnesses, which will be incorporated into the findings of the Congressional working group established to address this problem.”
**Note on Coverage**
- TV pool will be operated by KRGV-TV.
- Press parking is located in Lot #2, which borders W. Military Hwy and is directly south of Building B.
- Press is to use the main east entrance to Building B, with the exception of the TV pool production.
- Still photography and video for B-roll and cutaways will be allowed; however, space is limited and tripods will not be permitted.
- A mult box will be provided inside the hearing room for radio coverage.
- LIVE video of the hearing will be available here.