McCaul to Convene Houston Field Hearing on Human Trafficking
Media Contact: Charlotte Sellmyer (202) 226-8417
WASHINGTON, D.C. – The House Homeland Security Committee has announced the following field hearing.
MONDAY, October 7 at 2:00pm ET/1:00pm CT
Committee on Homeland Security
Combating Human Trafficking in Our Major Cities
Auditorium Room 116, Roderick R. Paige Education Building, College of Education
Texas Southern University, 3100 Cleburne Street, Houston, Texas 77004
Invited Witnesses Include:
· Mr. Brian M. Moskowitz, Special Agent in Charge, Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Homeland Security Investigations, Houston, Texas
· Mr. Steven C. McCraw, Director, Texas Department of Public Safety
· Mr. Adrian Garcia, Sheriff, Harris County, Texas
· Ms. Ann Johnson, Attorney, Office of the District Attorney, Harris County, Texas
· Mr. Robert “Bob” Sanborn, President of Children at Risk, Houston, Texas
· Ms. Cheryl Briggs, Founder & CEO of Mission at Serenity Ranch, Spring, Texas
Chairman Michael McCaul (R-Texas) on the hearing: “Human trafficking is a growing epidemic around the world. In the United States, more than 14,000 people – men, women and children – are trafficked each year. While its close proximity to major highways, ports-of-entry and the Mexican border make Houston a model city for commerce, human traffickers are taking advantage of these means to exploit domestic and international victims. DHS and its components are working together to combat human trafficking every day. However, we must do more to root out and stop this horrific crime.
“The purpose of this hearing is to raise awareness and find ways to bring an end to human trafficking across the country, beginning by examining the movement across our Southern border. I am grateful for the survivors who have bravely agreed to join us to shed critical light on this issue, and I look forward to hearing from federal, state and local witnesses on their experiences in combating human trafficking and ways we can improve our efforts.”
*LIVE video of the hearing will be available here.