Chairman Thompson Announces Election Security Hearing (Updated)
(WASHINGTON) – Today, Rep. Bennie G. Thompson (D-MS), Chairman of the Committee on Homeland Security, announced that the Committee will hold a public hearing next Wednesday on election security entitled Defending Our Democracy: Building Partnerships to Protect America’s Elections. This hearing will be part of series of hearings the new House Democratic majority is holding on H.R. 1, the For the People Act.
Statement from Chairman Thompson:
“Election security should not be a partisan issue, but Congress has done far too little to prevent foreign election meddling after Russia interfered in the 2016 election. Leading on this issue for the past two years, Democrats have promised the American people that securing our voting systems and democratic institutions would continue to be a priority this Congress. Holding oversight hearings on potential legislation is making good on this promise. The time to act is now. The 2020 election season has already begun. The American public deserve to be fully confident in the security and integrity of our elections.”
- Christopher C. Krebs, Director, Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency, Department of Homeland Security
- Hon. Thomas Hicks, Chairman, U.S. Election Assistance Commission
- Hon. Alex Padilla, California Secretary of State
- Mr. Noah Praetz, Former Director of Elections, Cook County, Illinois
- Mr. Jake Braun, Executive Director, Cyber Policy Initiative, University of Chicago
WHEN: Wednesday, February 13, 10 AM ET
WHERE: 310 Cannon House Office Building, Washington, D.C.
Live stream and more info will be available here.
NOTE: UPDATED TIME, DATE, & LOCATION
# # #
Media contact: Adam Comis at (202) 225-9978
Next Article Previous Article