Democratic Members to Visit Separated Children
(BROWNSVILLE, TX) — On Monday, June 18th at 1:00 PM CST, Congressman Filemon Vela will host a roundtable with Members of Congress and local immigration advocates regarding the family separation crisis.
Last month, the Trump Administration instituted a “zero tolerance” immigration plan, designed to deter undocumented families from entering the country. The policy has had the inevitable effect of ripping children from their parents’ arms while they await prosecution. Children have been relocated to Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) facilities, where they remain an average of 56 days.
Members of Congress will be visiting Casa Padre and Casa Presidente in Brownsville, TX—Southwest Key facilities where unaccompanied and separated children are being held. Following the visit, Members and local immigration advocates will participate in a roundtable to discuss the impact of the family separation plan.
THE ROUNDTABLE WILL BE LIVESTREAMED HERE.
- Representative Filemon Vela (TX-34)
- Homeland Security Committee Ranking Member Bennie Thompson (MS-2)
- Representative Sheila Jackson Lee (TX-18)
- Representative Ben Ray Luján (NM-3)
- Representative Frederica Wilson (FL-24)
- Representative Joaquin Castro (TX-20)
- Representative Vicente Gonzalez (TX-15)
- Secretary Julian Castro, Housing and Urban Development
- Monsignor Bert Diaz, St. Mary’s Catholic Church
- Bishop Daniel Flores, Catholic Diocese of Brownsville
- Jodi Goodwin, immigration lawyer
- Sister Phyllis Peters, Proyecto Juan Diego
- Lupita Sanchez, Proyecto Juan Diego
- Michael Seifert, ACLU
- Scott Nicol, Sierra Club
- Jim Chapman, Sierra Club
- Monday, June 18, 2018
- 1:00 – 2:00 PM: Family separation roundtable
- D’Gala Eventos Reception
- 3620 Ruben M. Torres Sr. Blvd.
- Brownsville, TX 78526
# # #
Brenda Rangel (956) 564-1527
Clarissa Robles (202) 450-9263
Next Article Previous Article