Chairman Thompson, Committee Democrats Write Trump to Request Federal Government Take Specific, Swift Action on Coronavirus
(WASHINGTON) – Today, Rep. Bennie G. Thompson (D-MS), Chairman of the Committee on Homeland Security, and the Democratic membership of the Committee, sent a letter to President Trump asking him to take swift action by “harnessing the resources and capabilities of the Federal government” to stem the coronavirus pandemic in the U.S. Specifically, they ask him to:
- Direct the DoD and HHS to dedicate the Federal government’s purchasing power towards acquiring ventilators.
- Direct the DHS, through FEMA, to play a central role in managing logistics for delivering critical medical supplies and resources to State and local jurisdictions.
- Direct the White House Coronavirus Task Force to formally add the FEMA Administrator to the task force.
- Direct DHS to evaluate continuity of operations for critical infrastructure.
- Direct the Army Corps of Engineers to suspend the southwest border wall project to dedicate its resources to the building of temporary hospitals and infrastructure.
# # #
Adam Comis at (202) 225-9978
Next Article Previous Article