King Announces Witnesses for Hearing on Iran/Hezbollah Threat to U.S. Homeland
Hearing Scheduled for March 21
Washington, D.C. – Today, U.S. Rep. Peter T. King (R-NY), Chairman of the House Committee on Homeland Security, announced the names of the witnesses that he intends to call at the March 21 investigative hearing to examine the terror threat that Iran poses to the U.S. homeland.
The hearing is entitled: “Iran, Hezbollah, and the Threat to the Homeland,” and will take place at 9:30 a.m. on Wednesday, March 21 in 311 Cannon House Office Building.
The witnesses Chairman King will call are:
· Director of Intelligence Analysis, NYPD Intelligence Division
· Author, “The Al Qaeda Factor”
· Former Assistant Director for the Criminal Investigative Division and Acting Executive Assistant Director (EAD) for Law Enforcement Services, Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
· Swecker served as FBI Special Agent-in-Charge in Charlotte, North Carolina and oversaw the investigation of a major Hezbollah cell uncovered there, known as the "Hammoud Case.”
· Managing Partner, Spectre Group International, LLC
· Former Assistant Administrator and Chief of Operations, U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA)
· Director, Stein Program on Counterterrorism and Intelligence, The Washington Institute for Near East Policy
· Former Deputy Assistant Secretary for Intelligence and Analysis, U.S. Department of the Treasury
· Previously provided tactical and strategic analytical support for counterterrorism operations at the FBI, focusing on fundraising and logistical support networks for Middle Eastern terrorist groups
In announcing the hearing, Chairman King said:
“The disruption last fall of an Iranian plot to assassinate the Saudi ambassador to the United States at a popular Washington restaurant was a wake-up call for all Americans. Last month’s forthright comments by Director of National Intelligence James Clapper that the Iranian regime is ‘now more willing to conduct an attack in the United States’ has further heightened concern about an attack by Iran on the homeland. At this hearing, we will focus on Iran’s primary terrorism proxies, including Hezbollah, which already has a robust network within the U.S., and the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, as well as the real potential that the regime will activate its network of operatives to carry out an attack here.”
Note on Coverage
The hearing will be webcast at www.homeland.house.gov. (The webcast plays in Windows Media format and is best viewed using Internet Explorer.)
Only Congressionally credentialed members of the media will be allowed access to the press viewing area in the committee hearing room. Members of the media who are not Congressionally credentialed may contact their respective Galleries to apply for a temporary press credential (see numbers below).
All television crews must RSVP to the House Radio/TV Gallery at 202-225-5214.
Gallery contact information:
House Radio/TV Gallery: 202-225-5214
House Periodical Gallery: 202-225-2941
House Daily Press Gallery: 202-225-3945
Photographer Gallery: 202-224-6548